Sunday, February 21, 2016

Reading Reflection Week 7

Week 7 Reading Reflection: Rediscovering Market Segregation.
1) What was the biggest surprise for you in the reading? In other words, what did you read that stood out the most as different from your expectations? I didn’t expect the article to be so heavily focused on advertising. I knew that advertising helped appeal to certain segments ,but I did not understand that it is used for segmentation.
2) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you. The Section concerning which customers drove profits confused me. The example they used was banks segmenting their customers based on the managers they worked with. How can you segment a group by the employees you already matched them with.
3) If you were able to ask two questions to the author, what would you ask? Why? At what point should a company or a startup create a marketing department. What kind of surveying is most effective for segmentation?

4) Was there anything you think the author was wrong about? Where do you disagree with what she or he said? How? They used mens razor blades as an example. The Author said that men prefer just what gives the closed shave. I disagree. I don’t necessarily want the closest shave but I want a razor that is quick and easy and doesn’t cut my skin. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflection Brandon!

    You seemed to have gained some well marketing insight from the reading. I do agree that market segmentation is key for creating a niche for one's business and standing against the market competition. As for the segmentation of customers, I believe they were referring to how different customers spend more money, so more advertising is spent on these segments and more money is spent towards keeping better relations. I believe these customers are segmented in banks before they are matched to managers.

    Keep up the good work!
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete