Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My Unfair Advantage

My Unfair Advantage
Resources
1.1      Human Capital: I currently speak both French an English which is a major asset in the wine industry. I also have taken personality tests that indicate I adapt well to tough high stress environments. There is no substitute for a unique personality.
2.2       Social Capital: When I served in the Belgian Army I was forced to work with individuals with different personality types in rigorous environments. This experience translates into leadership skills that I can bring to my team when starting my business venture. Military training has only a few substitutes that offer the same level of mental testing.
3.3       Financial Capital: I have saved enough money during my working life to launch my own small business venture. Others might seek out loans but I have enough capital to avoid interest rates.
4.4       Producer lines: Recent visits to Bordeaux France created a new network of wineries that are willing to expand their ventures to the United States with my support. There is no substitute for a direct connection with a supplier.
5.5       Network: I’ve been building my network both here in the United States and around the world. I have friends from many different countries that are willing to collaborate with me. My network is unique and covers the globe which means there is no substitute.
6.6       Time: All my classes are online which means I can watch the lectures when it is convenient. This means I have enough time to devote to a business venture. There is no Substitute for time.
7.7       Environment: Gainesville is a great environment for any business opportunity. It has a wide set of Demographics. It is unique because of how many millennials there are. Other large college towns could be a substitute.
8.8       Digital Media: I studied Digital media in my arts high school as a major. This specialization taught me how to brand and market products I intend on selling.
9.9       Clan Organizational culture: I like working with close friends and family. This is an asset because they are people I can trust. I don’t have to worry about the integrity of the company. I could choose between the other 3 cultures but clan provides the best fit for a small start up.
1.10   Work ethic: When I set out to accomplish a certain task I attack it until it is completed. There is no substitute for a strong work ethic.
Top Resource:

My top resource is my network. Through my Network and mentors I have learned so much. Without the help of my network I wouldn’t have the vast unique set of resources that I now have. 

3 comments:

  1. What's up Brandon my name is Gabe and I really like the point you brought up of human capital. I really do believe that it is beyond important to be able to speak different languages. This is because you can go to any where around the world and do some sort of business instead of having the trouble to translate and what not. I could also not agree with you more that the top recourse it our network because you never know who you can get a favor from. Check mine out! http://gerb95.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-unfair-advantage.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brandon, I really agree with you that your human, social, and financial capital are the top three resources anyone can have. And bravo for taking the time to learn multiple languages! That's going to help you a ton in the long run! I am debating still whether or not I want to go back to learning spanish and pick up from my honors class in high school. I know it will be extremely helpful in the long run. The rest of your resources are also going to assist in helping your venture concept succeed in the real world! Check out the link to my blog http://myufblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-unfair-advantage.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon,
    Thanks so much for sharing! You have some incredible resources at your finger tips and I believe that they will be extremely helpful in setting your company apart from other competing ones. The fact that you speak 3 languages is incredible in itself! I could not agree more that the most important resource that one could have is their network. Many people are qualified to run business but it is really the connections that you have with others that can make you successful. Keep up the good work and good luck with the rest of the semester! Feel free to check out my blog at http://blessingsinablog.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-unfair-advantage.html

    ReplyDelete