Wednesday, April 6, 2016

My Exit Strategy


1)   Identify the exit strategy you plan to make. Do you intend to sell your business in the next 5 years for a large return? Do you intend to stay with the business for several decades and retire? Do you intend to protect the venture as a family business, and pass it down to your children?
My exit strategy depends on the future of the wine market. A change in the climate could reshape the wine industry. Warmer annual temperatures are shortening harvest windows around the globe. I would like to use strategic planning every year to determine whether the industry is growing or waning. If I did decide to sell, I would sell with enough capital to start a new venture. As an entrepreneur you can’t become too attached to any specific project. Entrepreneurs are able to follow different Market trends and capitalize on supply and demand gaps. My end goal would be to start a family business that I could pass down to my children. It may not be in wine but it definitely could be. The majority of wine Chateaux’s in France are family operated businesses passed on for generations. I think more about the future of my family then my own retirement. I also want my businesses to have a positive environmental impact. An exit into the real estate and conservation market is currently my dream exit strategy.     
2)   Why have you selected this particular exit strategy?
Like I explained before I want to make sure I leave something for my children. As the world becomes more populated the concept of scarcity is a reality. I want to make sure I am not part of the problem contributing to global warming and the destruction of our fisheries and forests.
3)   How do you think your exit strategy has influenced the other decisions you've made in your concept? For instance, has it influenced how you have identified an opportunity? Has it influenced your growth intentions or how you plan to acquire and use resources?

In this particular business venture my exit strategy is definitely apparent. If I get into the food and beverage industry I only want to sell organic products. Growth would have been an issue ten years ago when the majority of consumers were ill informed about the environmental impact their product choices have. Thanks to social media and the internet more Americans are going green and buying organic. The success of stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes is a perfect example. There is plenty of opportunity in the organic food market. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brandon,
    First off, I actually really like your venture ha. I didn't realize there was a student working on a wine venture, and that's awesome in itself. Have you any background in the wine industry already? or is this just an idea you've entertained for quite some time, an idea you've finally been able to play around with? I especially like the idea that this venture interests itself in long-term commitment for your family. If this venture were real, and it worked out, it'd be an enormously rewarding experience (I'd imagine) to pass something down to generations. I hope you have this chance one day ! Good Job!Hey Nikita,
    Yeah, I think your plan is pretty much "the dream" of many people ha. IT'd be great, wouldn't it, to build something up and then sell it off for a nice pretty price haha. I wonder how many other people chose this path, since I also chose this option on the assignment. I think it's the best option for people in our class with only a few months of entrepreneurship experience, because really, honestly, we don't have a great sense about what the actual marketplace (costs and competition) looks like, so I think leaving the marketplace as soon as possible is the best option for students like us. Here's my venture, take a look at it if you get a chance!
    Good job!
    http://coffeemumbles.blogspot.com/2016/04/your-exit-strategy.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome that in the future you would start a new venture, that is so cool. Honestly if you can afford to and have a good reputation any entrepreneur should start a new venture. If you have customers that like your original one then they will probably be more willing to buy your new product or service. Here is my blog post: http://courtneydscott.blogspot.com/2016/04/my-exit-strategy.html

    ReplyDelete